2020 Rookie Test
Date: Saturday, June 13, 2020 – The tryouts are still on. We ask that all applicants wear a mask and practice social distancing. The try-out will be conducted differently as we have done in the past. It will consist primarily of the same phases but with separation among applicants in a timed format. Test is subject to change.
Time: 8:30 AM
Location: Lifeguard Headquarters, Beach and Grant Street
Minimum age of candidate is 16 years old.
The test is broken up into 6 phases:
- Phase 1 – 100 yd pool swim in under 1:25 (must pass to continue)
- Phase 2 – 500 yd ocean swim, scored by place of finish
- Phase 3 – 150 yd can run into ocean, scored by time
- Phase 4 – Surf dash, scored by time
- Phase 5 – Run, Surf dash, Run (1/2 mile) scored by finish
- Phase 6 – Interview with Chief, Captain, and Lieutenants
Successful candidates will be invited to the CMBP rookie school, which typically begins the second Monday following the test. Rookie school consists of a week long training program in ocean lifeguarding, CPR and first aid. Those who succeed in completing rookie school will be offered a position as a lifeguard for the City of Cape May. Rookie guards will be assigned a beach with a Senior Lifeguard who will continue their training program throughout the summer.